Tuesday, November 1, 2011

how jay ingram saved my university career

Today Jay Ingram from Discovery Channel's Daily Planet was invited to give a talk in my cell biology class. I recognised him from his voice. He took microbiology when he was an undergrad student at the U of Alberta (just like yours truly) and was clueless about what he wants to do next (again, just like yours truly). He loved science yet he hates working in labs (duh, yours truly, again) and he told us how he went from lecturing to broadcasting. He admitted that he made some mistakes along the way, and luck is a factor, yet to be lucky is to be able to take risks.
I would have never thought this is possible, as I thought my life is already set for me as a lab-bound microbiologist but there is more to that. I can definately use my science degree for something more than just research.

P/s: I have made a vow to stop shopping for new clothes/shoes/handbag/cosmetics/gadgets until I achieve my targeted grades. However, I am allowed to accompany my friend for his/her shopping trip but only to window-shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment