Monday, March 5, 2012

Election fever

A lot of my friends have been wondering why am I so engrossed in the upcoming Student's Union Election. What they fail to understand is that this isn't some regular Malaysian Students Association or the normal Persatuan/Kelab. This is a body that represents the voices of students. They take your suggestions seriously. They come up with referendums that require votes from students. They are willing to lobby the government to reduce textbook prices. They are advocating for cheaper food, while protecting the interest of student businesses around campus.

I don't know to what extend will they uphold their promises. I was just fascinated by the amount of freedom that was given to these candidates. It made me realize how lucky I am to be given this opportunity to watch the birth of a future leader/politician. They can freely criticize each other and current policies. They are given the right to campaign and advertise. I can vote and my vote will actually be counted!

Correct me if I am wrong, but this election fever is unheard of in Malaysia due to the strict policies pertaining student bodies. Not that I am saying that all politicians in Malaysia are bad, but Malaysia still has a long way to go in producing quality leaders and politicians; because they were not trained since young to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment